Saturday 29 April 2023

Sonny Stitt



The Bubba's Sessions 


I know to some, Record Store Day is a gimmick, but I always thought it was a great idea. If you like vinyl (as I do), finding something unique that has been prepared for a limited release is exciting. While conducting a quick browse today at our local record store, I noticed this out of the corner of my eye. "The Bubba's Sessions" were famous tenor man Sonny Stitt's last live recordings, and come from his performances at Bubba's Jazz Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale Florida on Remembrance Day 1981. I don't have a lot of his recordings in my collection (I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Tune Up, considered perhaps his best outing), but I think this one is going to find a home on my turntable. Sonny is very capably supported on this date by Harry "Sweets" Edison on trumpet and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis on tenor. Sonny plays tenor on most of the numbers, but switches to alto for "What's New?" and "Old Folks". The rhythm section is Eddie Higgins on piano, Donn Mast on bass and Duffy Jackson on drums. There are a good variety of songs (jazz standards) spread over 11 tracks on 2 records. The crystal vinyl is also pretty cool! 



No comments:

Post a Comment