Saturday 2 January 2021

In Memoriam Tony Rice

 Good morning music afficienados and a Happy New Year to y'alls. Let's hope 2021 is better (let's face it, it couldn't be much worse!). I recently learned of the passing of Tony Rice. I suspect he had not been well for some time; he had vocal issues over the last few years and also some hand problems (with obvious devastating consequences for a musician). I came to be a fan somewhat late in Tony's career, my introduction to his music came after I was "drafted" into a bluegrass band along with my double bass a few years ago (a word of thanks to Sarah, Sean and Dale). To say I developed an appreciation would be an understatement. He was a musician's musician; one of those rare talents that could comfortably perform in different genres at any tempo or time signature. Although primarily noted as being a bluegrass player, his recordings contain some excellent examples of the many influences he had. His instrumental work features Tony playing over standards such as My Favourite Things, Green Dolphin Street and Four On Six. His discography is extensive, and he was a highly sought after sideman, basically being able to chose whatever project he wanted to. However, if I was forced to pick my most cherished examples of Tony's artistry, it would be his interpretations of Gordon Lightfoot's songs. He held Gordon in high esteem, and over his career performed and recorded a number of Gordon's songs. Here is an example. My condolences to Mr. Rice's family on his untimely passing, and RIP Tony. We have lost someone special.


https://www.youtube.com/?gl=CA

No comments:

Post a Comment